Reborn of a Legend: The Zsolnay Cultural Quarter
Maribor, 2012. február 7 – március 1
The Zsolnay porcelain factory is rich in tradition and history. Starting in 1853 the work of its owner, Miklós Zsolnay, made an early andlasting impression. His successor Vilmos Zsolnay received the golden medal at the 1878 Paris World Fair. The tradition, knowledge and skills are passed from generation to generation, making sure that Zsolnay porcelain, formerly present only at the most equisite dinner tables, has become a modern staple and the trademark of ECOC Pécs 2010.
The Zsolnay Factory has played a significant role in Central Europe in the past 150 years. Their products were always created by renowned artists. The aim of the ceramics symposium organized in the framework of the Pécs2010 European Capital of Culture programme was to re-strengthen this tradition, and create new innovative groups of objects with the help of fine artists, designers and architects on the basis of the potential the Zsolnay technology holds.
The exhibited artists representing the three-year-long process:
István B. Gellér
Zsuzsanna Füzesi Heierli
In cooperation with Pécs 2010 Association and Zsolnay Cultural Quarter